June 14, 2013 | By admin |
When the word purpose is discussed, most believe it is what “you are here to do” and place it up against the historical greats… Gandhi, Martin Luther King or Bono. While each of these examples are powerful examples of purpose, I can assure you that each was driven first by a passion that grew well beyond their wildest dreams. I recall a quote from the movie “The Power of One” A waterfall starts with one drop of water, look what comes from that. Ihave always appreciated this concept as I begin or learn something new. The idea of knowing that a process has to have a starting point to grow from really helps to appreciate the growth process, and infinite solution possibilities to manage success. With this concept in mind I would like to impress upon you, that YOU always have a purpose, we (all living creatures) are all hard wired with a mission or missions. This starts from the most primal needs (Food, Water, shelter…) to ordering food off a menu. I will forgo the details to make my ultimate point.
When considering the people who exemplify purpose executed, you have to appreciate or imagine what they do to ensure they are managing their process to achieve success. I will highlight what I feel are the keys, and will even direct you to a solution. As for the details on the “MASTERS’s” of purpose, I will invite you to have a purpose research them further. Now you can add “purpose” to everything you do and it will add focus to what you are doing, and naturally the outcome will likely be more fulfilling and less routine in its feeling, and you may even find a new way to do the “same old thing.” Now just think about that for a moment…. Apply this idea to everything until it becomes second nature, it’s pretty cool when you take control of life tasks as opposed to being controlled or being on constant auto-pilot. So now we will graduate to the next phase of purpose, and that is performing with it. How many of you live by checklists? If you do then I will invite you you to CHECKLIST 2.0. If you don’t, well you will be up to speed in no time. The Keys: I believe when you begin a goal, task, activity or event, the first step is to ask great questions:
Why? Why am I doing this? (PURPOSE)
· Really consider the importance of what you are doing or what you are asking others to do, it has to be important if it was your idea…Right? Agreed!
What? What are the steps to accomplish? (TASKS/LIST)
· Think about the A to Z steps to accomplish, remember no detail is too small, think about a recipe (Chocolate Cake without chocolate… hmmm, not a cake I would want to eat)
Where? Where will the tasks need to be completed? (LOCATION(s))
· Consider the space or place you required for the task, activity or event to happen.
When? When or how long should this take? (TIME/DATE)
· Set deadlines, benchmarks and time tables to ensure ownership and completion are clear. This will ensure you are moving forward with what you want to accomplish and can quickly determine where things are being missed and why.
Where am I going to manage this? https://apps.whentomanage.com/signup
· I am sure even the “MASTERs” use(d) tools to help manage their ideas, so I want to invite you and others experience our latest innovation task management with our Cloud based App LOG at no cost or obligation… Well we would love for you to share it with others and let us know what you think.
Final thought, I can assure you if you add purpose to EVERYTHING you set out to do you will find that you are succeeding at a much higher level, accomplishing more and getting one completed task closer to being a MASTER of purpose.